We all have them! Don’t try to pretend that you don’t!!!!!! They are those secret things that you totally love and obsess over but are too embarassed to admit them to your friends or significant other because you think they will realize what a true dork you really are. Well, guess what. I have decided that today, I am no longer going to keep any of those inside. When I meet someone I want them to know all about me and love me for ALL of me, including my guilty pleasures. Because face it folks, when you bring that special person or those group of friends over to your house or parents, either your parents will have some embarassing photos of you on the wall, or they will bust out a few embarassing tales. And leave it to your siblings (older or younger, they don’t discriminate) to reveal those guilty pleasures. So, it is to your own advantage to get it out in the open ahead of time. So, today, I will list out a few of my guilty pleasures… AND I WANT TO HEAR YOURS TOO!
OH. AND TO MAKE THIS MORE FUN, I DID NOT INCLUDE THE OBVIOUS chocolate shakes, toaster strudels, crime shows, etc.
1. Broadway shows. Specifically, Phantom of the Opera. I could listen to that soundtrack (the one song, you know the one I’m talking about) all day and night and get chills every single time I hear it because I love it. (i wish I had one of Sarah Brightman bc her voice is AMAZING, but this will have to do)
2. Ashlee Simpson. Love her. Love her songs. So she lip synced a televised performance…. THEY ALL DO IT RETARDS! I watched her reality show, I sure did. LUV LUV LUV her. (OK, OK, AND BRITNEY SPEARS TOO… I’m not gonna lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
3. Bubble popping games on the computer and those coin dropping games at carnivals. Also, Skee Ball. I must play skee ball whenever, or whereever I see it. God I love it!!!!!
4. I still read as many books and see as many movies and stories about anorexia and bulimia as I can. While my eating disorder has become a thing of the past and isn’t prominent, I still read the stories because I can still relate to them. Also, the one particular book that got me through this and then this particular author put out another book disclosing that she was also diagnosed with bipolar disorder, was Wasted by Marya Hornbacher. She went on to put out the book Madness which is her journey through her bipolar disorder diagnosis and it mirrored mine in so many ways!!! I was so fortunate to get the opportunity to interview her for the Ask A Bipolar website (u can read the interview here: http://www.askabipolar.com/65-marya-interview/, and my god, if I ever had the opportunity to meet her, I would thank her and thank her over and over again for having the courage to write the books that she did and tell her story for all to hear because her book Wasted literally saved my life when I was struggling so much with anorexia and bulimia. And every time I notice myself slipping back, I reread her book and it gives me the strength to see that I can move past it, that I don’t need it, and that I have so many other/better things going. So Marya, if you are reading this…… THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea!!! (and, I do hope to interview you again for the International Bipolar Foundation website like I had originally asked you several months ago before i fell off the face of the earth due to BP cycles and divorce and such) lol….. but ladies and gents, if you struggle with eating disorders, READ THAT BOOK!!!!!
5. I still listen to my Jewel CD and play Foolish games on repeat to remember some high school times.
6. Watching teen movies with my sister and pretending that I’m watching for her, but really am watching for myself. i.e. A Cinderella Story with Hilary Duff and Chad Michael Murray. (god he’s hot!)
Well, thats a short list for now. I’m sure you ALL can give at least 1 guilty pleasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to hear them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!